Owning the Best Vacuum For Stairs and keeping your stairs free from all those tiny dirt is really worthy. If you’re a neat freak, you’ll know that when it comes to cleaning, not all areas of the house are created equal. The stairs, in particular, are not for the faint of heart. However, as the part of your house that gets some of the most traffic, it’s simply not an area you can neglect.
Here’s a secret: it’s not as difficult as it’s made out to be. All you need is the right equipment for your stair, home or your apartment, some elbow grease and some time.[wpsm_highlight color=”red”]“What equipment?” you ask. Well, that’s simple. A vacuum cleaner! A vacuum for stairs. [/wpsm_highlight]
Understanding that is half the battle. The other half is figuring out which is the Best Vacuum For Stairs and for your carpet and home.
A quick search shows that there are dozens—if not more!—of portable vacuum cleaners to choose from. Combing through all the different products and comparing them can seem daunting. Which is why we’ve done the legwork for you. This article looks at some of the best-rated vacuum cleaners in the market to decide, once and for all, which one is the best of the best
What To Expect When You’re Expecting… To Buy The Best Vacuum For Stairs in 2018
Let’s get this out of the way: you may need a Best stair vacuum. Especially your have carpeted stairs.
Your regular vacuum is too big and bulky to handle on a narrow, indented path like a staircase. This is risky if you aren’t too steady on your feet. While a machine with a lot of functions may seem tempting, we’d advise you to go in for the easy-to-use models that can get in, do the work and get out.
So, in summary, you’ll want a light, ergonomic vacuum cleaner that you can use to easily maneuver even awkwardly-shaped staircases.
Now that’s we’ve gotten that out of the way, here are 7 top rated stairs vacuum cleaners we are going to review.
Shark Rocket Corded Hand Vac
First off, we have the Shark Rocket Corded Hand Vac (HV292).
Weighing in at just under 4 pounds, this portable vacuum and lightweight enough to be carried up and down carpeted stairs. Shark Rocket hv292 comes with a 15-foot power cord, but your mileage may vary with how useful that is. This vacuum also comes with washable filters, which brings down the cost of your consumables.[wpsm_video schema=”yes” title =”Shark Rocket Hand Held Vacuum Cleaner Stair and Upholstery Cleaning Review” description =””]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWuQ0HXQWJc[/wpsm_video][wpsm_column size=”one-half”][wpsm_pros title=”PROS:”]
- Lightweight: When you’re lugging a vacuum cleaner up and down the stairs, every pound counts! At 3.7 pounds, this vacuum cleaner is just light enough to comfortably use. It’s also one of the lighter handhelds in the market.
- Recharge-Proof: This vacuum comes with a 15-foot power cord, so you don’t have to worry about it running out of charge at any point. This is a definite advantage over the cordless handhelds in the market today.
- Decent Suction: For a vacuum at this price point, it offers decent suction that can comfortably clean carpeted stairs and a small room.
- Awkward Handle Position: The handle is located at the back of the vacuum, which isn’t great if you’re going to be using it for more than a few minutes. This can aggravate injuries like carpal tunnel syndrome if you use it frequently.
- Dirt Cup isn’t Detachable: This means you’ll have to lug your entire vacuum cleaner outside to empty it, which doesn’t really sound appealing after some strenuous cleaning.
Bissell Cleanview Deluxe Corded Handheld Vacuum
At 4.7 pounds, this Bissell Cleanview Deluxe Corded 47R51 is one of the lightest vacuums on this list. It is also one of the most inexpensive. This Bissell vacuum perfectly fits the niche of staircase vacuum cleaner, especially if your stairs are carpeted. We found it easy to use and easy to store. It still isn’t the perfect vacuum cleaner, but it’s definitely up there.[wpsm_divider top=”20px” bottom=”20px” style=”dotted”] [wpsm_column size=”one-half”][wpsm_pros title=”PROS:”]
Lightweight: First and foremost, it is light! By now, we’ve surely stressed the importance of lightweight vacuums. Who would want to carry a heavy vacuum cleaner up and downstairs frequently?
Handheld: Secondly, nothing helps you get in those corners and crevices like a handheld device. You can get on your knees and really bust those dust bunnies. Suffice to say, maneuverability is easier, and a definite plus.
- Flexible Nozzle: The flexible nozzle is simply great for removing dirt from staircases.
- Transparent Dirt Cup: This is an ingenious move. You can keep an eye on your dirt cup and open it up only when it’s full. Personally, we find it very satisfying to see dirt being sucked in.
- HEPA Filter: This vacuum comes fitted a HEPA filter, which sucks up 99.97% particles from the air. A definite bonus!
- Exhaust on the Side: This vacuum comes with vents on the side. When you’re working with the nozzle, the air that is blown out by the exhaust often ends up scattering the dirt particles before it can be sucked in! Feels like a design flaw to me.
- Pet Hair Removal Can Be a Pain: You need to use extra strokes to remove pet hair, which can be tiring when you’re bent over the stairs. If you own a pet, maybe give this one a pass.
Best Budget Vacuum Cleaner” description=”The award for the Best Budget Vacuum Cleaner goes to the Bissell Cleanview Deluxe Corded Handheld Vacuum, 47R51, no competition. This little machine packs quite a punch. It can get the job done, allow you to vacuum your stairs to your heart’s content and give you all the flexibility you need without breaking the bank. The HEPA filter is an added bonus at that price point! This is the perfect vacuum cleaner for anyone looking for a no-fuss-no-muss solution that can help them keep their carpeted stairs neat and clean.
Shark Rocket TruePet Ultra-Light Upright Corded Vacuum
Another vacuum from SharkNinja makes the list! At 9 pounds, this one is considerably heavier than the Shark Rocket, but it’s still pretty light compared to its competitors. One thing to consider is the fact this is marketed as a floor-to-ceiling cleaner, so it’s multipurpose. It converts into a handheld vacuum and has enough control and attachments to let you get into even the tiniest of nooks. It will definitely give you the feeling of the comfort while you’re using it. Undoubtedly, it is one of the best shark rocket handheld vacuum.[wpsm_video schema=”yes” title =”Shark Rocket TruPet Ultra Light Upright HV322 Review Update” description =””]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfuBHRTLw5k[/wpsm_video][wpsm_divider top=”20px” bottom=”20px” style=”dotted”] [wpsm_column size=”one-half”][wpsm_pros title=”PROS:”]
- Easy Transition: This vacuum easily converts into a handheld device, so you can use it in a variety of places, not just your stairs. Pretty versatile and great value for money, at this price point.
- Swivel Nozzle: A great feature that lets you really get into all those corners.
- LED Lights on the Nozzle: Don’t let those dust bunnies escape! The LED lights on the nozzle are a nice touch and help illuminate every crevice.
- Detachable Dirt Cup: We’re big fans of the fact that this comes with a detachable dirt cup. All you need to do is push one button to release the bottom.
- Doesn’t Stand By Itself: The fact this vacuum doesn’t stand by itself is definitely a con, given its length. You’ll need to support it by yourself or against a wall. Maybe a bit tricky to control when you’re walking up and down a staircase.
- Pet Hair Gets Caught in Brushes: We’ve had multiple instances of dog hair wrapping around the brushes. Yikes! Definitely not something you’d want in a vacuum.
Best Multipurpose Vacuum Cleaner” description=”We had the opportunity to review some very good vacuum cleaners, but the award for the Best Multipurpose Vacuum Cleaner has to go to the Shark Rocket TruePet Ultra-Light Upright Corded Vacuum, Bordeaux (HV322). Its adaptability is incredible. At that price point, it gives you the option to invest in a vacuum that allows you to specialize in stairs while also serving your general vacuum needs. The LED lights on the nozzle are a great touch!
Shark Navigator Lift-Away Deluxe Upright Vacuum
Tired of SharkNinja? Bear with us, there is one more on the list. This upright vacuum cleaner is touted to be able to clean all kinds of dirt. At 13 pounds, it is heavier than its siblings, but as this isn’t a handheld vacuum cleaner, this isn’t too much of dealbreaker.[wpsm_divider top=”20px” bottom=”20px” style=”dotted”] [wpsm_column size=”one-half”][wpsm_pros title=”PROS:”]
- Great Suction: This vacuum comes with fantastic suction capabilities. We were quite impressed by its performance.
- HEPA Filter: This vacuum comes with HEPA filtration, which removes 99.97% of particles and prevents them from returning to the air you breathe.
- Removable Canister: This is definitely one of the features we love. Vacuuming stairs are so much easier when you can remove the canister.
- Narrow: We didn’t drop this down the stairs even once. Its narrowness makes it perfect for staircases everywhere! It’s also very easy to hold.
- Swivel Steering: This SharkNinja vacuum comes with swivel steering, which is perfect for navigating the different angles a staircase comes with.
- Short Cord: This vacuum comes with a shorter cord when you compare it to other SharkNinja models. Definitely, a pain to use at times.
Bissell SpotClean Professional Portable Carpet Cleaner
We have another Bissell on the list, one that is marketed as being excellent at removing tough stains from, among other areas, staircases. It is definitely not as inexpensive as the Bissell Cleanview but that shouldn’t be a deterrent in checking this out. Like the Rug Doctor, this is primarily a stain remover/carpet cleaner, but it does come with an interesting stair-specific tool. For many users, it is one of the best vacuum stairs.[wpsm_video schema=”yes” title =”Bissell SpotClean Professional Portable Carpet Cleaner” description =””]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2P5wtxPKvo[/wpsm_video][wpsm_divider top=”20px” bottom=”20px” style=”dotted”] [wpsm_column size=”one-half”][wpsm_pros title=”PROS:”]
- 6 Inch Stair Tool: The Bissell SpotClean Pro comes with a 6” Stair Tool, which is an attachment you can connect to the vacuum. Great for suctioning dirt out of staircases.
- Medium Weight: At 13 pounds, it is not the lightest vacuum on this list, but it is still comfortable enough to carry on staircases. Definitely much lighter than its competition on this list!
- Carry Handle: The vacuum comes with a handle that you can use to carry it around. And the best part? It doesn’t end up causing you pain, like some other models!
- Can Clean Carpet Stains… On the Stairs: This is definitely not something the competition can offer. It’s small enough that it can clean dirt and clean stains from stairs.
- Noisy: The Bissell SpotClean Pro is quite noisy when it’s in use! But it works well at what it’s supposed to do, so it doesn’t feel like a big con.
- Does Not Have Wheels: This is a pretty puzzling con. Why doesn’t a carpet cleaner—which is meant to be dragged all over the floor—come with wheels? You end up needing to manually lift and move it, which feels very counterintuitive.
Best Stain Removing Vacuum Cleaner ” description=”While the Rug Doctor is a tough competitor, the award for the Best Stain Removing Vacuum Cleaner really has to go to the Bissell 3624 SpotClean Professional Portable Carpet Cleaner – Corded. Not only will it remove dirt, it will also get those pesky stains out while allowing you the flexibility and maneuverability you need to navigate even the trickiest staircases. In our books, that’s definitely a win. It’s also lightweight and compact, making it easy to use and easy to store
Rug Doctor Mighty Pro X3
Up next, we have the Rug Doctor Mighty Pro X3 from Rug Doctor. You’ll notice that this is on the Dyson-end of the spectrum, price-wise. If you’re a pet owner, this seems to be well worth the investment. An important point to note is that this is not primarily intended for your stairs—it’s more a general carpet-cleaning vacuum. But it does come with a stair attachment that you can use to clean your staircase. And we figured that you might want to know how the heavyweights—pardon the pun—of the vacuum cleaner industry stack up against the portable and handheld vacuums we’ve seen so far.[wpsm_video schema=”yes” title =”Rug Doctor Mighty Pro X3 – Review” description =””]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y05JJjqOlVw[/wpsm_video][wpsm_divider top=”20px” bottom=”20px” style=”dotted”] [wpsm_column size=”one-half”][wpsm_pros title=”PROS:”]
- Long Staircase Attachment: The Mighty Pro X3 comes with a 12 feet long attachment that you can use to clean your staircase. We think the 12’ attachment should be long enough for most staircases.
- Built to Last: As expected, this vacuum is sturdy and is built to last. The company also offers a generous 5 Year Warranty, in case something goes wrong.
- Heavyweight: Weighing in at almost 40 pounds, this vacuum cleaner is quite literally a heavyweight. If the attachment tool isn’t long enough for your staircase, bear in mind that you’re going to have to lug this upstairs/downstairs while you clean.
- Difficult to Manoeuvre: As is expected of a heavyweight vacuum cleaner, the Rug Doctor Mighty Pro X3 is difficult to maneuver. A definite con if you want to use it to clean narrow staircases.
- Only Cleans in One Direction: This vacuum only cleans in the backward direction. So if you have problem areas, you’re going to have to spend more time and elbow grease to get your stains out. This becomes especially tricky if you consider the fact that staircases do not allow for much movement and have dirt hiding in all sorts of corners.
- Essentially More a Carpet Cleaner Than a Staircase Cleaner: It’s important to remember that the aptly-named Rug Doctor Mighty Pro X3 is a carpet cleaner at its very core, and very rarely something else. If you go in with the intention of using this primarily for staircase cleaning, you’re going to have a bad time.
Dyson V8 Absolute Cord-Free Vacuum
A cord-free vacuum on this list? We’re as surprised as you are. We’re usually not big fans of cord-free vacuums because they’re limited in capacity — they can run out of power in the middle of use. However, looking at the rave reviews this Dyson received, we couldn’t pass up the opportunity to check it out.[wpsm_divider top=”20px” bottom=”20px” style=”dotted”] [wpsm_column size=”one-half”][wpsm_pros title=”PROS:”]
- Transforms Into a Handheld: The very reason this made it on to our list is that it can transform into a handheld device, which is perfect for vacuuming the stairs.
- HEPA Filtration: This vacuum comes with HEPA filtration and so it’s quieter than most of its competitors. The air it releases will actually be cleaner than the air you breathe! And removal of 99.97% allergens from the air around is no mean feat.
- Convenient Docking Station: We appreciate the fact the makers over at Dyson thought about how this vacuum would be stored. It’s also multifunctional as it charges the vacuum while it waits for its next use.
- 4 Hours of Charging for ~25 Minutes of Power: Let’s be real. If you’re going to use this vacuum with its attachments to clean up your carpeted staircase (as you should), you are not going to get 40 minutes of power with it. On max mode, it only runs for 7 minutes! Four hours of waiting for what? This is the great pitfall of cordless vacuums, and the Dyson apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.
- Manually Hold the Trigger Down: It turns out you have to hold the power button down when you want to use it. This may not seem like a big deal, but when you’re vacuuming for 30 minutes, it is going to cause undue stress on your hand. It is 2017! Surely Dyson could have engineered a way to toggle the power button?
- Expensive: You’ll notice that the Dyson V8 Absolute is significantly more expensive than the other vacuums on this list. We don’t think it’s worth investing this much money in a device that is primarily going to be used for cleaning only your staircase.
Do I Really Need To Buy Another Vacuum Cleaner?
The short answer is: yes.
A dedicated vacuum cleaner really will revolutionize the way you clean your stairs.
The important thing to remember that stairs are simply not like the other surfaces in your home. They contain many crevices (perfect for dirt to hide in!), the shorter surface area per stair and are often at awkward and unconventional angles.
As we mentioned before, regular vacuums are simply too bulky to navigate staircases. They are too heavy to carry and a pain to maneuver. This is compounded by the fact that you need to either climb up or down the stairs when you’re cleaning them, and a big, heavy machine is the last thing you’ll want to deal with.
There’s also a safety issue you’ll need to consider. Big vacuum cleaners often come with cords and tubes. These can be a hassle to navigate even on a flat surface like a floor but on a staircase? Forget about it. This is a tripping hazard you’ll want to avoid.
Why Is Vaccum Cleaner needed?
A lightweight vacuum cleaner solves all of these problems in one go. They’re easy to transport from one part of your house to another and typically have enough suction power to “inhale” all the dirt hiding in the nooks and crannies of your staircase. While you have the option of going cordless, most of these vacuums come with only one cord which you can safely use even on a staircase. The upside to going corded is you won’t run out of battery power in less than 20 minutes, so you can keep cleaning until you are satisfied. The downside to going corded is the length of the power cord—while many vacuums offer decent length, it really depends on whether you have power sockets near your staircases that you can rely on.
Another aspect you’ll have to keep in mind is whether the carpeting on your stairs is stained. A house with babies and/or pets is prone to “accidents”, which can leave unpleasant stains on your otherwise nice carpet. A carpet cleaner that can also function as a vacuum cleaner can help assuage the problem at least a little bit. And if it’s easy to use on staircases? It can’t get better than that.
If you’re concerned about the state of your staircases and want an easy way to deal with maintaining them, a dedicated best vacuum stairs cleaner really is the way to go.
So you’ve decided to buy another vacuum cleaner. Congrats!
As you can see, the options are nearly limitless. We have spent a lot of time understanding about the Best Vacuum For Stairs cleaners that are available today. There are a variety of ways in you can make your final choice, because there are a lot of different factors at play: budget, primary use, weight, stain-cleaning and so on.
We’ve shortlisted our pick in three different categories to help you make your decision for buying Best Vacuum cleaner for stairs.